Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm a Wimp Who's Scared of Curry

I don’t know whether to attribute it to growing up in a Kosher household, which limited outside dining options, or to the fact that Jews stereotypically can’t handle heat, but I have a very limited palate when it comes to ethnic food. And spice. And the variety of the ethnic dishes I do eat.

Let me explain: When it comes to sushi, I grew up eating tuna rolls – tuna, rice, seaweed—cucumber rolls – cucumber, rice, seaweed – and avocado rolls – avocado, rice, seaweed. Mexican in the Goldman household consisted of a delicious casserole made from rice, beans, cheese, tuna, peppers, and mild salsa. No heat, no zingers.

I tried Thai food for the first time during my sophomore year at BU. My friends and I went to a restaurant called Noodle Street, which I still HIGHLY recommend, and a kind waitress advised that if I was new to Thai, I should try the “See ew” dish, because it was not all that different from the Chinese food that I did know. I tried it; I loved it. I tried my friend’s Pad Thai dish as well. It has been two years, and those are STILL the only Thai dishes I will order and eat.

I’ve never tried Indian. For context, I spent 4 months in London – which is arguably, the second-best place in the world to try Indian food – and I am still a wimp about it.

But why not? I mean, I live in Boston – a far cry from the ethnic food mecca that is New York City, but we hold our own. I have all sorts of ethnic delights around me, and yet I do not actively try them.

I will be the first to admit it. I am a wimp when it comes to trying ethnic food. I am scared of spice levels, I am scared of not knowing what to order, I am scared of not liking what I ordered. Am I the only one with these irrational fears?

I ask you for help fellow foodies: What dishes should I be trying? And am I alone in my fear of curry?

4 comments:

  1. Buffets are the king of trying new foods and almost all ethnic places have one. Especially useful for Indian and Thai. Find one drop a few dollars and if you hate everything there is usually a chicken fingers fall-back option.

    That way you can take one bite, or eat 2 plate-fulls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't try any ethnic dishes until I was well into my 30s. Tastes change as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good suggestions -- I hadn't thought of a buffet. What are some of your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be afraid. My roommate who hates all things spicy went out with me and she LOVED it. Just ask for a recommendation from the waiter. They will tell you what is not spicy and guide you. Alternately, places such as that have lunch buffets where you can try a little bit of everything. And since it is a buffet, they usually make everything mild.

    ReplyDelete