Thursday, May 2, 2013

"Manfriend" Taste Test (Part 1): Feta, Pepper and Corn Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette


Hey Foodies! 

This evening, I wanted to create a very special dinner for the new "manfriend". So throughout the work day, I was working possible menus out in my head... struggling between wanting to try something new, and going with one of my standbys that I know is successful.

Eventually I came up with something that used the ingredients I had on hand, so that I only had to purchases fresh peaches.

Tonight's menu:

  • Light Dinner -- Warm salad of quinoa, fresh bell peppers, feta and corn over fresh romaine
  • Dessert -- Bourbon glazed peaches accompanied by vanilla scented Greek yogurt (Part 2)
Let's start with dinner. Unfortunately, I didn't really measure my ingredients, but I'll try to give approximations.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 red bell pepper diced
  • 4 oz fat free feta
  • 1 15 oz can whole kernel sweet corn, no salt added; drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 TBS olive oil
  • 3 TBS lemon juice
  • fresh basil, julienned
  • salt substitute and pepper to taste
To Make:

  • Heat 1/2 TBS olive oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add dry quinoa and stir until grains begin to brown -- about 3 minutes.
  • Add water and reduce heat to low. Cook covered for 20-25 minutes.
  • In a separate bowl, combing remaining olive oil, lemon juice, basil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
  • When quinoa is ready, combine with red pepper, corn, feta, and lemon juice/olive oil dressing.
  • Serve warm over greens -- I used romaine lettuce.





Quinoa, like other grains, expands. We got quite a few servings out of this. For argument's sake, let's call it six. Note -- nutrition facts do not include romaine lettuce. 

Serves 6
Each serving: 205 calories, 32 g carbs, 5 g fat, 10 g protein

I didn't let Jon, the "gentleman caller", have a taste while I was cooking. Let's here it for [filmed] blind taste testing to gauge my success as a home chef. 


No comments:

Post a Comment