I love eggs for breakfast because they're delicious and they keep me full until lunch. The great thing about this recipe, because it makes four servings, is it makes a great brunch or "Breakfast-for-Dinner" Entree.
- 2 Cups Liquid Egg Whites
- 3 Cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 1/3 Cup Skim Milk
- ½ Cup Whole Fresh Basil Leaves
- ½ Cup 2% Four Cheese Blend (Shredded Cheese)
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- Salt Substitute and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Sauté mushrooms (in olive oil) in a 10 inch non-stick, oven-safe skillet over a medium flame. (This should take 5 minutes)
- While mushrooms sauté, combine egg whites, milk, salt substitute and pepper.
- Chop fresh basil and add to egg white mixture
- Add ¼ cup of shredded cheese to your egg mixture
- Pour egg mixture over mushrooms in skillet, and cook in oven for 20 minutes
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the eggs and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the eggs have set
Each Serving: 149 calories, 4 g carbs, 6 g fat, 19 g protein, 323 mg sodium
Obviously, you don’t have to use basil and mushrooms when making frittatas – there’s hundreds of variations you could try. You could go crazy with ingredients, or pair it down to a few and let those flavors really shine through.
Here are a few combos to get you started – just keep in mind, the nutrition facts for this recipe will change if you use different “add-ins”:
- Onions and Swiss
- Tomatoes, Spinach, and Feta
- Bacon and Cheddar
- Ham, Green peppers, (and a dash of hot sauce on the side)