Sunday, December 8, 2013

Recipe: Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower "Wings"

Saturday night is when I have my cheat meal. Actually, Saturday night is when I pay homage to one of the world's most perfect foods: Buffalo Wings.Needless to say, buffalo wings are some of my favorite foods. Under duress, I may admit to dreaming about them occasionally. Unfortunately, they aren't exactly the healthiest things out there. In fact, with each individual wing clocking in at 3 points, they may be closer to the "unhealthy" end of the spectrum than a lot of other foods -- especially the amount I'd ideally like to be eating!

The good news is, I found a substitution which will allow me to get that crispy buffalo kick I love.

Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower

Ingredients:
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • Dash of hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • pinch salt substitute
To Make:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
  2. Mix flour, water, salt, and dash of hot sauce into a small bowl.
  3. Chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Dip pieces into batter until coated evenly, then place on a greased baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 15 minutes or until batter has hardened.
  5. Once cauliflower has completed baking, brush pieces with your favorite hot sauce and continue to bake for a few more minutes, until cauliflower is crispy.
  6. Remove from oven and enjoy!!
Serves: 4
Each Serving: 104 calories, 23 g carbs, 1 g fat, 4 g protein, 4 g fiber, 3 WW Pts

2 comments:

  1. this sounds deceptively delicious. i know you love spicy foods, so you might want more than just a dash.

    by the way, what other vegetable would you recommend to do this recipe with -- say in case i dont like cauliflower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're very right. I ADORE spicy foods. The vegetable alternatives has me a bit stumped. The thing about cauliflower is that it will "hold up" to cooking a bit more. I'm making an educated guess here, but I believe you could substitute carrots -- they should also hold up to a fair bit of cooking.

      Don't be afraid to try old disliked vegetables cooked a different way! You may be surprised!!

      Delete