Thursday, May 31, 2012

Recipe: "Cream" of Broccoli Soup

My mom made this recipe a few months ago, and I thought it was brilliant. Turns out she snagged it from a Jenny Jones cookbook called "Look Good, Feel Great". I've taken the liberty to modify it just a little by using brown rice and my salt substitute. I've also doubled it, because I tend to think bigger pots of soup make leftovers, which is never a bad idea.

The trick to this recipe is that the soup is thickened -- not by cream -- but by the starches from the rice, which is an infinitely healthier option.

Ingredients:

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup long-grain brown rice (I used short grain and it was fine)
  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (Aim for low sodium)
  • 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (I used broccoli crowns, and chopped them up, and I'm assuming Frozen would do in a pinch)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt substitute
  • Black pepper (to taste)
To Make:
  • In a large pot, heat oil over medium flame. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until they are translucent.
  • When the onions have had a chance to cook, add the rice, stock, salt substitute, and pepper, and allow mixture to come to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, and simmer (covered) for 20 minutes.
  • Stir in broccoli florets and allow mixture to return to boil, increasing the heat to medium. Cover and cook for five minutes, and then remove from the flame.
  • Allow soup to cool slightly, and then blend until smooth.
  • If the soup is too thick, add more water or stock for your taste.
Serves: 8
Serving:  52 calories, 7 g carbs, 1 g fat, 4 g protein



No comments:

Post a Comment